September 15, 2020
Welcome to third grade at Eugene Online Academy. My name is Donna DuBois VanDeurzen. The kids lovingly call me DVD. I will be your teacher for the 2020-2021 school year.
This is my 23rd year teaching and I can honestly say, it is like no other in the history of my career. This is my 20th year as a 4j schoolteacher. For the past 10 years I was at Camas Ridge Community School. Over the years I have taught 1st-5th grade. My main expertise is in project base learning, visual arts, and connecting with students. I am the mother of 5 children and a very sweet Beagle named Luna. My favorite subjects in school are all of them. In my free time I love painting and creating art of all kinds.
Just like you, I am new this year to the Eugene Online Academy. I am excited to go on this online journey with your family this year. My top priorities this year are teaching your child and connecting with every family to make sure all students have exactly what they need to make their third grade year productive and fun. Together we will have an amazing year. The best way to contact me is via. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can leave a message for me at 541-790-6850.
* Elementary classes will host two Zoom sessions each day. Students are invited to attend
ONE session each day. The morning session is 9:10-10:00 (M-F). The afternoon session is 1:30-2:30 (1:00-1:40 on Wednesday) and will be a repeat of the morning session. The first week I will email the link. After that students will learn how to find the link independently without the use of email.
* Week one, September 21st -25th, will be focused on building our classroom community, exploring our platforms for learning, and practicing our online expectations for learning. Academics will not begin until the week of September 28th.
* When students are not in a Zoom session the following time guidelines for online distance learning are required:
Daily: 30 minutes English Language Arts, 30 minutes Math, 30 minutes Enrichment (Enrichment examples include, Science, Social Studies, Art, etc.)
Offline enrichment activities will be provided as the year progresses.
1. If you are interested in conferencing with me about your child, please respond to this email with a contact time for your family. I will confirm meetings via email. I am excited to meet each of you and talk specifically about what your family needs to have a successful distance learning experience. We can meet via a phone call or a Zoom meeting. It is your choice. Our specialists will contact students with a 504 or an IEP in the coming weeks.
2. Respond to this email with your choice of Zoom class. Do you prefer morning or afternoon?
3. Take a deep breath and get ready to have an amazing third grade year!