Thursday, September 22, 2016

Classroom News September 22, 2016


Dear Families,

            Wow, we are at the end of week 3!  I want to make sure we are all on the same page about homework.  In second grade I send home homework on Friday.  ALL homework is optional except reading.  I will send home a reading log due the following Friday.  I will send home two or three math sheets. Some will be second grade level, one is a challenge story problem, and the final sheet is a third grade challenge sheet.  Normally math causes the most difficulty at home.  If this is the case please SKIP IT and spend the time doing something fun such as cooking using recipes (fractions), measuring things including your child, practicing with an analog clock telling time, or counting money when appropriate.  Also, I will send home second grade spelling words. We will not have formal spelling tests in class this year. If this is important to you, you can test your child at home.  If not skip it.  Children learn spelling through writing and we will be doing a lot of writing at school!  I never want to send a message to a child they are awful spellers because they fail the weekly test.  I will talk more about my homework philosophy at curriculum night September 28th. 

            In class we have been very busy. I am happy to say testing is over. Now we can get down to the business of learning.  We continued our study of rocks this week.  We were learning how rocks change in water.  I hope everyone is hard at work collecting 12 rocks to share at school on September 30th.  If you need an egg carton for your rock collection I have a few extra in the classroom. I plan on putting more pictures of our science lessons on the classroom blog so be sure to check back soon!  In math this week we are continuing our review. We also wrote math riddles for our friends to solve.  We have also been writing Pet Rock Guide Books.  I am completely impressed with how willing the children are to jump in and try to do their best work. I can’t wait to see how each of the children grow as writers this year.

Have a wonderful week!
~Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment