Thursday, September 8, 2016

Classroom News September 8th

Dear Families,

What an amazing first two days of school.  I have been teaching 19 years and I can honestly say Wednesday was one of the best ‘first days’ of school I have experienced.  I hope your children feel the same.  This year will be one of fun, laughter, and learning for all of us.  Second grade is a year of growth in academics & social, emotional development.  The first month of school in homeroom class, we are focused on community building.  This ensures we are ready for the hard work of learning during the rest of the year.

Our second day together was full of math, reading, writing, and science! We were very busy.  I think the highlights of today included exploring calculators during math and using hammers to break open our geodes during science.  I’m happy to report there were no hammered fingers and plenty of excited scientists when the geodes opened.  Homework this week is to keep your eyes open for rocks as you are out and about on your weekend adventures. We will have an upcoming rock collection assignment so this is an excellent opportunity to get started early. Besides, it is fun to find rocks!

I am a firm believer in strong communication between families and myself.  When children know the adults in their lives are on the same page they gain confidence in us and everyone grows as a result.  If you have questions or concerns you can find my contact information in the email I sent to the email address you have on file with the school or in this weeks printed letter to families.

I hope you enjoy this blog.  It is a fun place to post photographs of what we do in class.  I know as a parent I always wanted to be a fly on the wall in class to spy on my children.  With the blog you have this opportunity.  If you do not see your child on the blog you have chosen not to have photos posted when you registered at Camas Ridge.  If you change your mind let me know.  On the other hand, if you see your child posted and you would rather not have their photo on a public blogspot, just email me and I will remove their photo.

Finally, mark your calendars for Wednesday, September 28th. At 5:30 we are having curriculum night. This is a wonderful time to come to school and discover what your child will be learning in 2nd grade. Hope to see you there.

Thank you for an amazing class of second graders!
~Donna





























1 comment: